Random Rachel Rants

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Unleashed.

As part of my medical school experience, we get sent out in pairs to schools in the community. Our roles and responsibilities are somewhat vague, leaving my partner and I landing in front of a class of grade 7 students, unsure of what to anticipate. For the first while, I was the "show-and-tell".. they oooed and ahhhed when we walked in, they asked all sorts of insightful questions "do you, um.. you know.. get grossed out when they do surgery and there's lots of blood and guts everywhere?" (I don't know yet) .. "can you teach us how to give needles?" (no.. i still haven't learned!).. "What made you decide to become a doctor" (they got the condensed answer).. "what time in the morning do you start class?".. Soon enough the novelty wore off and we became just an extra set of "adult" bodies in the classroom, helping the kids with their spelling and math homework. I haven't yet become comfortable with strangers being impressed when I tell them I'm in medical school, and I truly hope that by the end of my four years of school, I still feel this way (just to a lesser extent). Today was really my first time let out "in public" playing the role of the medical student, and I think I passed. Now if only passing my anatomy exam were that easy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home