Random Rachel Rants

Friday, June 17, 2005

That's One Interpretation...

In high school, I was very involved in my synagogue's youth group. The year I was graduating, the dress code changed, and a new rule was proclaimed that all skirts worn must be "fingertip length". We pondered what this could mean, and soon found out the skirt length had to equal or surpass the point at which one's fingers hit the legs, when the hands are placed at one's sides. As you may imagine, depending on one's arm length, this could end up being either quite short or rather long! Nonetheless, it was quite amusing to watch both the guys and the girls measuring how long "their" skirts needed to be.

Fast forward 5 years. The trend of (very) short pleated skirts for girls is all the rage, though I doubt I'll ever be seen sporting the look. I'm walking through the subway station last week on a rather hot day and see a girl pass by wearing said short pleated skirt. And suddenly a new interpretation of "fingertip length" skirt occurs to me... The length of your skirt must measure no longer than the distance from your wrist to the tip of your finger. And I giggled to myself and kept walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home