Random Rachel Rants

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

No (Permanent) Fixed Address

My parents called me tonight. They've sold their house. My house. The dwelling I've called home since I was a little kid... home to countless birthday parties and slumber parties, family celebrations, childhood milestones and the like. They're leaving somewhere where we have friends and family as neighbours and moving elsewhere. Away from the playgrounds where I've played on every single swing in every single park.

I've been mostly out of the house since I graduated from high school, but it was always reassuring to fill out that same permanent address, knowing that it was home regardless of where I might be physically living at any given point in time.

I don't fault my parents for moving. They've been empty nesters for a while, the house is too big and needing more and more repairs as time goes on. They're going to move a little bit closer to the city, something they've talked about doing for years.

I congratulate them on the sale of their home... but the little kid inside of me wants to whine in my little girl voice that this is MY house and strangers should not be living in it!

And as I used to always say as my family left on vacation... bye-bye house, don't get too lonely without us.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/07/2006 8:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If it makes you feel any better (and things beginning with that phrase almost never do), my parents moved away from my childhood home while I was at camp. When we were getting ready for the summer, we had to pack up everything, not just our shorts and the one pair of underwear we'd wear for the next 8 weeks, and when it was time to come home they just told us a new address in a new State, and off we went. But now there is a new house to go to, and since the people I am going to see all live there, it is still home-y. Just make sure to go visit the old house and annoy the new tenant lots, cuz you know deep-down that it isn't really their house, it is still yours.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home